About 15 years back, my father bought an AC for his parents living in a remote village in Kerala. The earnest salesman tried to sell him on the well-known V-Guard stabilizer for AC. But for some reason my father wasn’t sold on the idea. He saw it as a marketing gimmick because by that time, voltage fluctuation in most areas in Kerala were almost stable. Little did he know that is not entirely true!
One fine night, when the AC was running, the power surged and damaged the AC’s electronic components burning a heavy hole in my dad’s pocket.
Well, he learnt his lesson well and now every expensive appliance in my dad’s home has a voltage stabilizer.
Actually, a fact that we often forget is that voltage stabilizers are not just for regulating the ill effects of voltage fluctuations on appliances. We often forget that voltage stabilizers provide much-needed protection against power surges.
Power surges often have their source inside the house. Internal power surges can in fact happen when an electric device is suddenly turned off and stops drawing electricity. This results in a sudden spike in voltage throughout the home as the current it was drawing suddenly has nowhere to go. So, anytime you switch off your geyser, induction stove or any such appliance, your sensitive appliances like TV, Computers, AC, Gaming Console etc. runs a risk of being affected by a power surge.
Lightning, power surges originating from the electricity board, overloaded circuits, damaged or exposed wiring, power outages are some of the other causes of power surges.
Now that you know how important a role a voltage stabilizer plays in ensuring the life of your AC, let us take a look at the important factors to consider while buying one.
Which are the Best Voltage Stabilizers For AC in India?
If you are short on time, take a look at our recommendations below to make a quick right decision.
How To Choose An Appropriate Voltage Stabilizer For Your AC?
Not all stabilizer can be used effectively for all electronic devices. Each gadget has its own voltage limits and thus an appropriate stabilizer of the right size is required for an electronic device like the air conditioner. Moreover, various fine prints come into play to nail the right sized stabilizer.
Air conditioners are available in different capacities and with different energy ratings. Thus, each would need a specific size of the stabilizer. The size is determined by considering the following factors:
- Power consumption range of the air conditioner(s) that will be attached to the stabilizer. If you are connecting multiple air conditioners to the stabilizer; their power expressed in watts is cumulated. Then the resultant Watts value is increased by about twenty per cent to arrive at the load value that can be connected to the stabilizer. This value of the stabilizer is expressed as Volt-Ampere (VA) or Kilo Volt Ampere (KVA).
- The nature and capacity of the device and its energy ratings are the next considerations that impact the size of the stabilizer.
- Next, you must look into the range of the voltage fluctuation of your locality. This would give you the working range of your voltage stabilizer i.e. the range of fluctuation which can be handled effortlessly by the stabilizer in an effective manner.
Important Features to Consider when Selecting a Stabilizer for Air Conditioner
Different air conditioners consume different units of electricity and work on different voltages. We already know that these figures should be the main criteria while selecting the voltage stabilizer size. If they do not match, your air conditioner is likely to get damaged.
Apart from these, you must look into the following features while selecting the most appropriate stabilizer for your AC.
- Specialized stabilizer- Often people think of stabilizer in general terms. However, technological advancement has led to the availability of specialized stabilizers for various appliances. Thus, you must look into stabilizer devised specifically for air conditioners.
- The voltage range of your locality- Every locality has its own minimum and maximum limit of voltage fluctuation. The voltage range of your stabilizer must be equal to or greater than this locality range. If it is less; it would cut off the power supply and your AC would no longer function.
- Surge Protection- As mentioned earlier, surge protection is an important aspect to consider. Often during lightning or short circuits, a sudden spike in voltage is witnessed. This leaves the stabilizer with no time to adjust the voltage and both the stabilizer and air conditioner are likely to get damaged. To combat it, few stabilizers have surge protection or spike guard which can effectively manage a sudden surge in voltage by cutting off the stabilizer output completely during the spike.
- Mounting- As with any electrical device, stabilizers too can become risky if they get wet, damaged etc. when placed on the ground or on other unsafe areas. Thus, they must be mounted high in a safe position and especially away from children. With plenty of voltage mounting options available, you can select the one best suited for you.
- Voltmeter Indicator- With this feature, you are able to track the voltage that has been regulated by the stabilizer. There is normally a light indicator for it. The latest models boast LED lights.
- Time Delay Systems- Most stabilizers for air conditioners have this feature installed in them. This system gives the compressor enough time to generate the required voltage and give out a uniform current flow especially during short power cuts.
- Digitized- Most of the newer models of voltage stabilizers are crafted with digital technology. This empowers them to easily adapt themselves to different voltage fluctuations and offer a layer of protection to many different devices. Thus, you would be able to use your digitized stabilizer not only with an air conditioner but with other devices as well like your TV, refrigerator etc.
- Thermal Overload Protection- This feature enables the stabilizer to protect the compressor during high-temperature burnouts.
- Design- Finally, you can choose stabilizers in various colours and styles so that they complement your home décor effortlessly.
Best Voltage Stabilizers for ACs In India
Now that we know how to choose a voltage stabilizer for our air conditioner, we would look into few stabilizers for AC that has been highly popular with a majority of Indian consumers.
- V-Guard VG 400 Voltage Stabilizer (Grey)
Ideal for an AC of maximum of 1.5ton capacity, this stabilizer passes with flying colours in both performance and aesthetics. The compact design and economical pricing are the cherry on top of the icing.
Foremost the unit has been designed exclusively for air conditioners. Its input voltage range of 170V to 270 V makes it an ideal and must-have device for use across Indian territories with your air conditioner.
Its grey colour is attractive and neutral to blend in with any décor. Moreover, it has an attractive sleek cabinet that you can mount easily on any wall thereby enhancing its safety features. Its body is constructed of ABS material which promises you both reliability and durability.
Crafted with an advanced IC technology design; the stabilizer has advanced features like an intelligent time delay system that can ensure power supply till three minutes of OFF power condition. It even switches on automatically on resumption of power supply.
Thanks to its IC technology design, the stabilizer is much better equipped to rectify the fluctuating input voltage. This can be easily traced with its LED status indicator. Its other safety features include in-built thermal overload protection and automatic low and high voltage cut-off.
What you should keep in mind is that it is a simple cutoff stabilizer and thus not ideal for areas with high voltage fluctuations. Few also rue for copper windings instead of aluminium windings to increase its efficiency.
But, with a three-year manufacturer’s warranty, excellent customer service and various other smart and intelligent features, it is a stabilizer that would go a long way in protecting your air conditioner.
Find latest price ( Amazon)
- Microtek EM4150+ 150V-280V Digital Display Voltage Stabilizer (Grey)
This stabilizer is a great alternative to the V-Guard stabilizer as it has almost similar performance and reliability but with a slightly wider input voltage range.
With a metal body and attractive grey colour; it is sleek, compact and can be easily mounted on a wall. Its aesthetics is pleasing enough. It is also exclusively designed to work with air conditioners of 1.5ton capacity. The sturdy design combines both durability and reliability.
The technology used in the stabilizer is the Save Power Technology which not only helps you lower your energy bills but also helps increase the lifespan of your air conditioner. The input voltage range of the stabilizer is 150V to 280V which is quite sizeable. It is also a simple cut-off stabilizer which means all voltage lower than 150 V or higher than 280V will have the unit cut off the power supply to the air conditioner.
The Smart Time Delay feature of the stabilizer prevents your air conditioner from starting immediately after power cuts and voltage fluctuations thereby adding an extra health layer to the device. The Intelli Thermal Management, advanced seven-segment digital display, Intelli Microchip design and silver caked relay are other features that add to the ease and comfort of using the stabilizer.
Its automatic functioning eases the hassle of any manual management. With a three-year manufacturer’s warranty; brand reputation and decent pricing, this stabilizer is definitely a terrific buy.
Find latest price ( Amazon)
- Monitor 4-KVA Wall Mountable Voltage Stabilizer For 1.5 Ton AC (100% Copper)
The Monitor voltage stabilizer is one of the best specialist stabilizers available today for any air conditioner with a maximum capacity of 1.5 ton. With a slightly higher price tag, it is definitely worth considering.
Like the previous two, it is also a cut-off stabilizer that cuts off the power supply outside its input voltage range of 170V to 270V. With a sleek and attractive design, the stabilizer is both lightweight and small. It can be easily mounted on a wall. The epoxy-coated metal body ensures both reliability and durability.
Its distinguishing factor is its hundred per cent copper winding against the aluminium windings of the previous stabilizers. This increases the conducting efficiency of the stabilizer as well as helps you reduce your energy bills. It has all other technical features that are considered standard in any high-quality stabilizer.
Another noteworthy feature is its five-year warranty period. You can easily extend the standard warranty of one year to five years with a nominal fee. All-in-all; it is an excellent investment both as a stabilizer and for the protection of your AC.
Find latest price ( Amazon)
- V-Guard VG 500 Voltage Stabilizer for AC up to 2 Ton(170V-270V) (Grey)
V-Guard has a formidable reputation in the world of stabilizers. Thus, we cannot help but talk about another stabilizer from them, which is ideal for an AC up to 2-ton capacity.
With an input voltage range of 170V to 270V; it has all the smart features and advantages similar to the previous V-Guard stabilizer discussed above. It can easily function with all major brands of air conditioners and maintains a steady flow of voltage.
Given its capabilities and economical pricing of less than 2K, it is no surprise that the stabilizer rates high on customer satisfaction score. Thus, you can never go wrong with this stabilizer for your air conditioner.
Find latest price ( Amazon)
- V-Guard VWI 400 2850-Watt AC Stabilizer (White)
Another offering from V-Guard, it is an ideal stabilizer for an inverter AC of a maximum capacity of 1.5 ton.
Foremost, like all V-Guard stabilizers; it has an ABS cabinet, and wall mounting facility. Its body is fire retardant. Thus, you have great performance with stunning aesthetics.
The stabilizer has a voltage range of 130V to 280 V but it restricts its output voltage to 240V. This is especially advantageous for inverter AC’s whose PCB modules and sophisticated electronic circuitry are extremely sensitive to voltage fluctuations and damage easily. Moreover, they are expensive to repair. A stabilizer is a must-have with them.
It has all standard features identifying any V-Guard stabilizer like the Intelligent time-delay system, low and high voltage cut-off protection, crafted with IC technology; built-in thermal overload protection; seven-segment smart digital display etc. It is even compatible with a generator.
With its stringent quality control and a manufacturer’s warranty of three years, it is a smart choice for any inverter air conditioner. To add to the delight, it is fairly light on the pocket as well.
Find latest price ( Amazon)
It can be a tough job to understand the technical specifications of any voltage stabilizer and choose the most appropriate one for your air conditioner. We hope to have given you enough insight to make the task easy for you. Online space is the best space to choose and compare various stabilizers before you buy one. Do write to us for any suggestions, comments and feedback.